The One-Page Technique & Pure Gold
The other day, I decided to force my writing juices to the surface. I hammered out a page of a story I'm calling "Next Breath" and the first page of another story called "Finder" (working title). Both stories have hidden plots--just the idea is there. Even the characters aren't fully formed yet. But it seemed to have worked.
I sat down to work out some of the details on those one-pagers and got smacked with an epiphany about "Broken Gold." I had to excise 700 words to resume in a different direction and it took an additional character introduction, but I figured it out! I crushed a further 2,800 words to cap it off. It will need some work, but the ending is in place. It even turned out better than I thought it would.
Now, are the juices still flowing? Can I drop back into one of those one-pagers and knock out some more words? I did the one-pager treatment on "Thieves of Chikara" and got a really good story out of the technique. Maybe this is how I now write short stories. I should find out for sure tomorrow.
Comments
Post a Comment